Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Jockenhövel
RWTH University of Aachen
Institute of Applied Medical Engineering
Applied Medical Engineering
Cardiovascular Tissue Engineering
phone: +49 241 80 89886
Stefan Jockenhoevel is the head of the Dept. of Tissue Engineering & Textile Implants which build a bridge between the Tissue Engineering & Biomaterial Division of the Inst. of Applied Medical Engineering and the Medical & Smart Textiles Division of the Inst. für Textiltechnik at the RWTH Aachen University. During his M.D. studies, he worked at the Dept. of Physiology, Laboratory for Extracorporeal Circulation, and developed novel oxygenator systems for paediatric lung support. In 1995, he graduated in Medicine at the RWTH Aachen University and started his clinical practice in Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery at the Heart Centre Baden, followed by positions at the University Hospital Aachen, the University Hospital in Zurich, and later as a senior physician at the Institute National de Chirurgie Cardiaque, Luxembourg.
In 2000, he formed the Cardiovascular Tissue Engineering Group within the Clinic for Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery of the RWTH Aachen. Based on the knowledge gained during his research scholarships at the Dept. of Experimental Surgery, Unispital Zurich (Prof. Zund/Prof. Turina) and Dept. of Biomaterials (Prof. Hubbell) at ETH Zurich, the laboratory developed an outstanding expertise in tissue engineering of cardiovascular structures based on a fibrin gel scaffold, and the development of specific bioreactor systems for the in vitro conditioning of tissue-engineered constructs.
In favour of these exciting research activities, he abandoned the clinical aspects of his career, and transferred the tissue engineering activities to the Helmholtz Institute Aachen in 2005. Since 2011 he is holding the transfaculty professorship Tissue Engineering & Textile Implants, heading the Division of Tissue Engineering & Biomaterials at the Helmholtz Institute Aachen (Medical Faculty) and the Division of Life Science & Smart Textiles at the Institut für Textiltechnik (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering) of the RWTH Aachen University.
CV in bullet points
- Studied medicine at the RWTH Aachen University
- Clinical career in cardiovascular surgery at the University Hospital Aachen, Zürich and the Heart Centre in Lahr/Baden and Luxembourg (last position: senior physician)
- MD thesis in the research area of novel oxygenator systems for paediatric lung support (RWTH Aachen)
- Research Fellowship at the ETH Zurich (Prof. Jeff A. Hubbell) and University Hospital Zurich (Prof. G. Zund) in cardiovascular tissue engineering
- Head of the Cardiovascular Tissue engineering lab of the Clinic for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Head of the Dept. of Tissue Engineering & Biomaterials, Helmholtz Institute Aachen, Applied Medical Engineering (Prof. Schmitz-Rode)
- Habilitation at the Medical Faculty of the RWTH Aachen in Applied Medical Engineering
- Since 2011 transfaculty professorship Tissue Engineering & Textile Implants at the HHHelmHelmholtz Institute Aachen (Medical Faculty) and Institute of Textile Engineering (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering) RWTH Aachen University